Tasting: Although Pinot Noir in Spain is rare outside of sparkling wine production, due in part to fierce pride in their indigenous varieties, there is a little here and there used in still wine production. From one of the northern coastal regions of the Basque country, 65% of this blend is made up of Pinot Noir, the remaining 35% made up of indigenous Basque variety Hondarrabi Beltza. This wine exhibits bright aromas of red cherries and violets with a silky palate of dark cherries, black raspberry, wood smoke and a dash of sea spray.
Bodega: Bodegas Itsasmendi
Region: D.O. Bizkaiko Txakolina
Grape: Pinot Noir, Hondarrabi Beltza
Aging: 10 months in large format French oak
D.O. Bizkaiko Txakolina
Pinot Noir, Hondarrabi Beltza